Overseer of God’s Remnant Assembly Akintayo Emmanuel Looks at the Importance of Fatherhood in the Kingdom

The impact that fathers have in providing for their children’s spiritual development — not just for their material needs — cannot be underestimated. A landmark study carried out by Swiss researchers revealed that in households where only the mother regularly attended church services, just 2% of their children grew up to do the same. However, in households where both the mother and the father regularly attended church services, the number of children who followed in their parent’s churchgoing footsteps skyrocketed to 33%. What’s more, 41% of children attended church services on an occasional basis, which brings the total of regular and occasional attendees to 74%. That’s a 72% increase and rooted in a single variable: whether fathers enabled or neglected facilitating their child’s connection to the church.

In light of the above, Akintayo Emmanuel, the Overseer of God’s Remnant Assembly, has selected four insightful and inspirational biblical passages to help fathers around the world re-ignite their commitment to the church, and serve as a role model to their children who may have an abundance of possessions, but are lacking the spiritual nourishment they need to make their lives meaningful and momentous: Deuteronomy 6:6–7: “And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise.” Comments Akintayo Emmanuel, who in addition to serving as the Overseer of God’s Remnant Assembly is also President of Hear the Lord Ministries: “The message here is that fathers must make and set aside quality time to talk with their children about Christ and God’s teachings. They should not be lazy or passive, or leave it up to others to guide and teach their children the difference between right and wrong. It must be a top priority.” Proverbs 20:7: “The righteous man walks in his integrity; his children are blessed after him.” Ultimately, fathers must lead their children by example, and demonstrate their unwavering faith in Him through their thoughts, words and deeds. They must not be hypocrites.

Proverbs 3:11–12: “My son, do not despise the chastening of the Lord, nor detest His correction; for whom the Lord loves He corrects, just as a father the son in whom he delights.” The message here is that fathers must not shirk their responsibility and obligation to correct their children and help them stay on the right path. Of course, this effort must not denigrate or humiliate. Rather, it must be tempered with love and be guided by understanding and humility. Psalm 127:3: “Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb is a reward.”

Comments God’s Remnant Assembly’s Akintayo Emmanuel: “The message here, and perhaps the most important of all, is that while fathers have a solemn duty to provide for their children’s spiritual wellness and development — and not just their material needs — they should never lose sight of the truth that children are a gift from God. They came from God, and one day they shall return to Him. In this sense, fathers do not own their children. They are entrusted by God to care for them in the best way they can and must always strive to do better tomorrow than they did yesterday.”

Overseer of God’s Remnant Assembly. Married to Pastor Sarah Emmanuel, founders of GRA Mission Squad.

Overseer of God’s Remnant Assembly. Married to Pastor Sarah Emmanuel, founders of GRA Mission Squad.